[softwarelist] Re: speak module

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:52:49 +0000

Colin Wood <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have this somewhere on the machine, but can't find it. (I know this
> because *modules occasionally lists speak, but I haven't been able to
> work out where it gets it.)

If you use something like !Reporter to log al the commands issued while your
machine is booting then you can save that log and search it.  It'll show the
command used to load (probably RMload or RMrun) the module and show the
location of the file it is loaded from.

Even for people who don't understand the finer points of RO, being able to
see the commands that are issued when you do something can bring a great
deal of understanding about how things work.

!Reporter is available from:
http://www.avisoft.force9.co.uk/Reporter.htm

> Can anyone tell me where it is likely to be tucked away?  ... or is
> there a utility to search for it?

There are utilities that will search for files in general.  The main problem
you might have here is that there's no guarantee that the file from which
the Speak module is loaded is also called Speak.  It could just as easily be
called anything else.  Why?  It might have been shipped with some other
name, or you might have chosen to keep several versions.

For example on one of my machines I have a directory called MyModules and in
it I keep all the miscellaneous modules that I choose to load during (or
just after) !Boot processing.

Suppose I have three versions of a particular 'Wotsit' module and wish to be
able to experiment with them and choose which one will be loaded.  I might
store them in three files called Thingy001, Thingy150 and Thingy220.  Then
one of the commands:

    RMload <MyModules$Dir>.Thingy001
 or RMload <MyModules$Dir>.Thingy150
 or RMload <MyModules$Dir>.Thingy220

issued from somewhere else (eg an Obey file) will load the version of the
module that I want to play with.  Issuing  *modules  after that would in all
cases show that "Wotsit" is loaded.  Of course I'd be unlikely to name the
files with "Thingy-" names if the module is called "Wotsit" - I'd be much
more likely to call the files "Wotsit150" etc - but it's not compulsory.

Anyway, this slight doubt about what the file will be called means that what
you really need to do is search your disk(s) for files of type "module" then
look at the list of them and guess which is the Speak one.  Steve Fryatt's
!Locate is a useful utility for search for files based on their names,
and/or filetypes, and/or contents, and/or size or date.

!Locate is available from:
http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/locate/

In your case just finding the module isn't enough.  And deleting it or
moving it once you've found it might not be wise either.  You will have to
make sure that the comand that's trying to load it no longer gets issued
otherwise you'll get some other kind of error.  That's what makes !Reporter
so useful.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own