[softwarelist] Re: speak module

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:19:23 +0100

In message <4f7d0b494bcolin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Colin Wood <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, John, for the following

>> That's a feature of RISC OS 4. You can change where files are saved
>> by putting an obey file somewhere (Tasks) containing;

>> Set ADFSFiler$DefaultDir <destination dir>

> However, I now find that dropping a file onto HardDisc4 icon does not
> put it in $ directory: it seems to disappear (works fine with RAM
> icon).

Dragging a file to a HostFS disc icon simply behaves as if you had
dragged it to any other place on the desktop that does not accept
files. The application's Save box remains open and the application
knows that nothing has been saved. So, the file does not disappear, it
simply is not saved in the first place. There is a big difference
between the two.

> Is this a 'feature' of VRPC-Adjust with its differently named FS?

The DefaultDir feature (or, in fact, the feature to accept files
dragged to a disc icon in the first palce) can be offered by each
specific filing system's Filer module. Traditionally, RISC OS disc
icons have not accepted files at all. RISC OS 4 has added this feature
to each of the OS supplied Filer modules, i.e., ADFSFiler, RAMFSFiler,
SCSIFiler, etc.

If you want HostFS disc icons to accept files you need to ask VA to
implement it in an updated version of HostFSFiler.

Martin