[softwarelist] Re: speak module

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:04:16 GMT

In message <4f7d0b494bcolin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Colin Wood <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks - Speak module found - and in a very obvious place!

> The other thing I asked was

>> I used to have a utility (module?) which put files dropped on to
>> the HardDisc4 icon into a subdirectory. Can anyone tell me what it
>> is called, and where I'd get it?

> Thanks, John, for the following

>> That's a feature of RISC OS 4. You can change where files are saved
>> by putting an obey file somewhere (Tasks) containing;

>> Set ADFSFiler$DefaultDir <destination dir>

> However, I now find that dropping a file onto HardDisc4 icon does not
> put it in $ directory: it seems to disappear (works fine with RAM
> icon).

> (so unsurprisingly what I tried first - an obey file containing
> set HostFSFiler$DefaultDir HostFS::HardDisc4.$.Public
> did not work).

> Is this a 'feature' of VRPC-Adjust with its differently named FS?

At a guess, the "drop to filer icon" is a feature of ADFS, which is
why it works with RAM discs.

You can set up ADFS discs under VRPC, so you could try it there. I
can't remember whether the boot disc can be ADFS though.

ADFS under VRPC has the disadvantage that it doesn't allow the PC side
to access the files.

> Regards to all,

Alan

--