[bookshare-discuss] Re: about the optacan

  • From: "Linda Lupaczyk" <smilingfriend@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:33:58 -0500

Hello Bookshare family,

Speaking of the optacon, I have often wished I had one!  I used to be a rehab
teacher and used an optacon and taught others how to use it.  The price was
prohibitive, however, so I never did invest in one.  I always thought they
would come down on the price so those of us working-class people could afford
it, but they never did.  I couldn't justify spending $3,000 on a machine that
was so tedious to use, but I would love to have one for the many times reading
machines can't read something.  For instance, when the print changes on a page,
the scanners go nuts!  With an optacon, one had a chance of reading the
material.  I'll never forget how surprised I was when I "saw" italicized print!

I have also wanted to get a book to learn Spanish.  I can't use the READING
EDGE for that, because if I insert the card they make for reading Spanish, it
won't read the English explanations, and if I use my original card which is, of
course an English-reading card, it won't read the Spanish.  This also could
have been possible with an optacon, but is it worth $3,000?

Just some thoughts.

Linda