[bookshare-discuss] Re: about the optacan

  • From: "Ron Miller" <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:49:28 -0500

  I actually trained on this device for a while when I was in the 6th
and 7th grades. It was called the StereoToner (pronounced "stereo toner"
though I'm not sure if I've got the spelling correct). It was pretty
compact, much smaller to carry than an optacon. The cammera was
cylintrical in shape with the aperature at the "bottom" end of the
cylinter and the connecting cable coming out of the other end. A flat
rotary knob controling the contrast was located at the "top" end of the
cylinder and, I believe, there was another, slider type control along
the side of the cylinder whose use I do not remember.

I found it very possible to read using the tones and stereo
representation of the characters.

Best regards

Ron Miller