[bookshare-discuss] Re: about the optacan

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:35:16 EST

Yes. You can make use of drawings with the optacon. Drawings are not
pictures. What I'm referring to are more commonly known as sketches. Or
outlines. As
was previously stated, you can't tell color, but you can follow a black on
white drawing or a drawing of another color as long as the contrast is good,
contrast being the difference between the color of the drawing and the paper.
If
you're careful, you can even follow the outline of something that's been filled
in with colors. I've used it to figure out all kinds of diagrams in manuals,
including circuit diagrams. And as I think I've said previously, I can read
music with it. It's a slow process, but it can be done and to me that's a lot
better than having no options. In fact I know someone else who has one and he
said if I ever wanted to sell mine to let him know. I told him I wouldn't sell
them as long as they work. I also know someone who services them at a
reasonable
price. If that interests anyone, contact me off list.

Gail