[bookshare-discuss] Re: about the optacan

  • From: "Stephan, William S NWK" <william.s.stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:19:40 -0600

When I was at TSI acquiring my first optacon, there was a demonstration of a
reading machine with tonal output.

The thing used a camera like an optacon, but instead of an array, it
outputted tones.  The pitch of the tones corresponded to the rows on the
array of an optacon, and the output was in stereo.  The user wore headphones
for this, and though I could hardly believe anyone could do this, he actually
was able to read documents with which he was unfamiliar with this machine.

I never heard that they marketed this, they were also just getting ready to
start selling their talking calculators at that time.