[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: So when I was browsing Bookshare I saw that...

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:56:01 -0500

Oh, I find John's list helpful too, but I'm really talking about just deciding one day that I wanted to read a romance novel, or something. I would normally go to the Bookshare site, and click on the romance category. I could then just browse all the romance titles, but since the PQ books aren't categorized, I'd miss a whole lot of romance novels that are available.

Melissa Smith

On 5/13/2011 8:37 AM, Sue Stevens wrote:

Hi Melissa,

I find John's list to be helpful with this. I go through the uncategorized list each day if I have time, and see if there are any books that sound good.

Hope this helps,

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Melissa Smith
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:33 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: So when I was browsing Bookshare I saw that...

The publisher quality books are often, if not always, submitted without
any categories selected. I also find this very annoying. Some time ago,
I asked here if someone would be going back and categorizing them, but
never got a response, which I assume to mean no. Since there are so many
publisher quality books being donated, people are going to miss out on a
lot without them being categorized. When I first joined, I simply
browsed a couple of categories that I was interested in. Think how much
I would have missed. Now I usually do a search for something particular,
but if I'm just looking for an interesting book in a particular
category, there's a good chance I'll miss something I would have liked
to have read.

Melissa Smith

On 5/13/2011 6:16 AM, Nat Barrett wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering about something. And I didn't know where else to throw this out except the volunteer list. Anyway, just now I clicked on the new to collection page. I was surprised to see quite a few publisher quality Harlequin books. The thing is, I didn't remember seeing them earlier, when I cruised through the romance category Thursday afternoon. Thinking maybe they were recently added since the date of addition was 5/13/2011 and where I am it's only a little after 1 a.m. Friday morning as I type this, I thought maybe it was very recent. However, I clicked to browse the romance category again, and I was correct. Those books I saw on the new to collection page were not listed in the romance category. In fact, when I clicked on one of the books listed on the new to collection page, they didn't have a category selected at all. Or at least, not that I saw. Is this a simple oversight or is there a reason for this? I'm just a little confused because normally when I want a romance, I look at the romance category page for new additions. I'll work through this if this is the way. But I'm going to find it a little more time consuming to check out what's done by Harlequin and what's a fiction novel with heavy romantic influence. If that makes sense to everyone. Lol.
Thanks for listening to me ramble,
Natalie

-----
No virus found in this message.