[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: So when I was browsing Bookshare I saw that...

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 22:30:03 -0700

Roger, I think this using familiar names we are used to is a tendency
when we meet with something we wish to describe. To give a gastronomic
example, artichokes are members of the thistle family. There is a tuber
related to sunflowers which is called Jerusalem artichokes or sunchokes.
This is confusing because the Jerusalem artichoke in no way resembles
the artichoke. In fact one prepares them differently and the cooking
techniques differ. The tomato was once called the love apple. It is in a
completely different species and family from the apple. Native Americans
were called Indians (the thought being that they must have come from
India.) I think this sort of foible besets us all the time. So nu,
Roger. One more aspect of being human these erroneous naming practices
and misidentifications, wouldn't you say? Regards, Kim Friedman.