[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: So when I was browsing Bookshare I saw that...

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 22:15:05 -0400

Here is the difference Cindy. Both fantasy and science fiction are speculative fiction. That is, the question is asked, what if ... then .... The premise following the word if is likely to be a fantastic element. That which follows the word then is the story. A fantastic element is a thing, event or being that is outside of our experience and may not be theoretically possible or even possible at all. The difference lies in the nature of the fantastic element or elements. The word science in science fiction is not there for nothing. Science deals with the real universe that we find ourselves in. That means that if the fantastic elements in a story of speculative fiction are assumed within the context of the story to be manifestations of the real universe then the story is a science fiction story. If the fantastic elements are assumed within the context of the story to be supernatural then you are reading a fantasy. The difference is profound. It is the difference between riding an airplane and riding a magic carpet. That is why -- even though all genres tend to overlap a bit -- science fiction and fantasy are about as far apart as any two literary genres can be.

_     _      _

"One of the things that is wrong with religion is that it teaches us to be satisfied with answers which are not really answers at all." - Richard Dawkins

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
 http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 5:09 PM
I am not familiar with Dragonsdawn,
but if that is the premise then I would
expect that that would be another one that would be
frequently
miscategorized as fantasy. With the user tag system,
though, that could be
quickly corrected.

_ _ _

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>