[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: So when I was browsing Bookshare I saw that...

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 19:48:04 -0400

There is always the danger of vandalism, but it appears that at Wikipedia it is removed very quickly. Wikipedia, though, has a very large participant community. I have a watch list there and when I check it I am always hoping to get a chance to delete vandalism, but I notice that when it does happen someone removes it usually within five minutes or so. At least twice, though, I was quick enough to remove it myself. Wikipedia is not the model that I am thinking of for Bookshare though. As I said, I am thinking of Open Library as the model. I have never seen a tag there that appeared to be deliberate vandalism and even at Wikipedia the deliberate vandalism is only a very small minority of the edits. I do disagree with some of the Open Library tags now and then though. Recently I was looking at The Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. One of the subject tags identified it as a fantasy. Well, a lot of people think the Pern novels are fantasy because most of them have the word dragon in the title and dragons are a fantasy trophe. If you actually read the books, though, it will be apparent that they are not fantasy. I improved the Open Library listing by removing the fantasy tag and replacing it with a science fiction tag. This illustrates the fact that the tagging process is a continuously dynamic thing. Tags that are there one day may be gone the next day and nothing is set in stone. I suppose some people might consider this to be a disadvantage, but it does not strike me as much of one since mistakes can always be made and the real disadvantage would be to be stuck with those mistakes. I do think that this would be a very strong remedy for the problems we have with the Bookshare classification system. Want a subcategory? Add it. Find a book that has not been categorized? Categorize it on the spot.

"One of the things that is wrong with religion is that it teaches us to be satisfied with answers which are not really answers at all." - Richard Dawkins

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com