[birdky] Sloughs Sunday

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 20:46:05 -0500

May 18th, 2008

6:30AM to Noon
65º mostly cloudy, clearing and rising to 70º

My, my, how birding changes from week to week this time of year.

The last two weekends have been very good in western Henderson County.

This weekend: so, so.

Shorebird unit still has too much water.
Wood Tract is almost dried up except for near the Shorebird Unit.
268 slough is still full.
Horseshoe Road slough was inaccessible again. The Ohio has risen and is flowing over 136 between Bakers Store Road and Horseshoe Road. The water is flowing into the Horseshoe Road slough complex. I attempted to visit Horseshoe Road slough via Bakers Store Road. No shore birds were seen and Horseshoe Road slough as lots of water. Uniontown/Mt. Vernon Road was flooded so I could not visit Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit.
Gentle Pond and Pond Creek Marsh were visited.

Highlights:
Green Herons 3
Canada Geese 10 at PCM
Mallard pair
Blue-winged Teal pair
Wood Duck pair
Hooded Merganser at HRs
Turkey Vultures
Bald Eagle flying over 1574 with dangling fish
Am. Coot at Muddy Slough
Spotted Sandpipers
Least Sandpipers ~25 at Wood Tract
Chimney Swifts
Belted Kingfisher at PCM
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker pair on telephone pole near 1574
Prothonotary W.
N. Parula W.
N. Waterthrush
Orchard Oriole FOS
Baltimore Oriole FOS
Blue Grosbeak between Muddy Slough and Hardy Slough

Non-bird:
Deer 2
Coyote 1
Raccoon 1