[birdky] Sloughs Sunday

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 17:01:44 -0500

Got up to go birding at 5:30 but it was pouring rain.
Finally rain ended and I got out about 8:45.

74º overcast

Shorebird Unit:
Blue-winged Teal flock had increased to about 250.
When the Blue-wings spooked and started flying around I spotted a single Green-wing Teal. After things settled down again I spotted 2 Shovelers molting and several Mallards.
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpipers
Least Sandpipers

Hardy Slough:
Flock of quail roosting a small tree. Among the Bobwhites were some of the same mutations I have seen three times now starting in August. The best I can do refer to them as Tennessee Reds except these have a white patch on the lower throat.
Hairy Woodpecker
Barred Owl
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated warbler