[birdky] Sloughs Sunday

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:09:32 -0600

5 Nov. 06
6:30AM 45º overcast light rain started at 8:30AM, I gave up at 10:30AM and returned home in the rain

The main area of the Sloughs WMA is now closed. Woods Tract is being flooded but swaths of rows of corn remain. Across 268 from the Woods Tract some of the beans have been harvested. Water levels all over the western half of Henderson Co. remain high and occasionally over the road.

I stopped at the observation towers at Hardy Slough and Anderson Pond. Next onto 268 slough, then a stop at Horseshoe Road slough, finally Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit. The rain started while I was leaving HRs. So the sightings at GP/PL were from my truck cab, or standing next to it in the rain.

Pied Billed Grebes at Andy P, 268 s, HRs, GP/PL
Canada Geese 100's at Hardy Slough
Mallards everywhere
Am. Shovelers at Andy Pond, 268 slough
Ring-necked ducks at Andy Pond
RUDDY DUCKS 2 at GP/PL
Hooded Mergansers at 268 slough
Bald Eagles 1 at GP/PL, 2 at Hardy Slough
N. Harrier 1 at HRs, 1 at GP/PL
Am. Kestrel several on powerlines
Coots everywhere there was some water
Wilson's Snipe 1 at GP/PL