[AR] Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: Bill Claybaugh <wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:31:08 -0400

Perhaps, provided you get started a little before the Fed drops interest rates
to zero and starts printing a Trillion dollars every year....

Founders can sometimes cash out at a financial profit even as the business is
losing money; it just requires naive secondary investors. This may be
particularly easy just now, thanks to historically low discount rates and
historically unprecedented amounts of cash sloshing around the economy.

I recall someone who refused, when it was explained to him, to believe space
transportation is an inherently no profit business (In fairness, it does defy
common experience). It is today my impression that he is no longer in denial on
this subject.

Bill

Sent from my Commodore 64

On Sep 18, 2015, at 12:37 PM, John Carmack <johnc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a bit of a hard time accepting the zero profit assertion, but a lot of
true things are often hard to accept, so I won't argue against it without
data.

However, even if you grant that in the long term profits will trend to zero,
that doesn't mean that you can't have a decade where you make billions.