[AR] Re: DMLS Chambers WAS Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: David Masten <dmasten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 11:31:06 -0700

And, nearly forgot, but optimum cooling *is* desired if weight is to be optimized. (But cost and other considerations, YMMV, yada, yada...)

David Masten
CTO
Masten Space Systems, Inc.
1570 Sabovich St., Mojave, CA 93501
415.244.9171 (Mobile)

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION: This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential and/or trade secret information. The information is intended only for use by the recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of information received in error is strictly prohibited.

On 9/18/2015 9:34 AM, Norman Yarvin wrote:

Rockets don't need "optimum cooling", though. They just need enough
cooling to work. One isn't trying to actually maximize heat transfer,
just to have enough of it so that the chamber walls don't fail.

One thing you could do with DMLS is "transpiration cooling", such as
P&W wanted to use for the SSME. Instead of film cooling, where you
have a fuel-rich film flowing down the sides of the chamber, in
transpiration cooling fuel exudes from pores in the chamber walls.
Films can be disrupted by unexpected patterns of flow in the chamber,
such as can occur during combustion instability; transpiration is
harder to disrupt. Transpiration cooling requires a porous surface,
which makes it a good match for laser sintering (where they have to
work to make the material _not_ porous).

Now, it might not work well with hydrocarbons, which could coke and
clog the pores; the SSME proposal was for using it with hydrogen,
which doesn't have that problem. The RL-10, which uses it on the
injector face, is likewise a hydrogen engine. Still, it's not like
it's easy to get methane to coke, or for that matter ethanol, so it
might be worth a try.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 03:06:36PM +0100, Ian Woollard wrote:
Yes, blood vessels are known to be fractal.

It's the same type of physical process; convecting stuff (in the case of
rockets, heat, in the case of organism, oxygen, food and waste) that
diffuses into or out of the liquid, using the minimum amount of effort (you
want minimum delta-P on your rocket's coolant channels, and organisms want
to have the minimum sized heart that will work.)

Designing fractals isn't necessarily that difficult, for example consider
this diagram:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_to_third_order_constructs_of_the_constructal_design_of_a_cooling_system.JPEG

It may well be possible to do the maths to design that kind of thing with
just a spreadsheet, or even paper and a pencil and a calculator.

On 18 September 2015 at 08:14, John Dom <johndom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Reminds me to our blood transport system through the body where arteries
get typically smallest close to the skin. Not sure such are fractal though.

jd