[AR] Re: DMLS Chambers WAS Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:44:59 -0400

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Dave McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That actually reminds me of something I've speculated about in the past: if
one assumes a "perfect" 3D-printing process for creating a regen engine
chamber/throat/nozzle, has anyone ever come up with an optimum design for
the cooling channels layout? While 3DP is hardly perfect, it certainly does
make previously-impossible complex interior geometries suddenly a lot less
impossible.

To put it simply, it's probably not channels. Engines with linear
channels in their chambers were designed because it's one way of
building a heat exchanger with very high heat flux that is possible to
manufacture fairly easily with conventional machine tools, namely a
lathe and a slotting cutter.

There are many kinds of more interesting heat exchangers that can
suddenly be built much more easily with additive manufacturing.