[AR] Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: KEN BIBA <kenbiba@xxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:31:00 -0700

Thanks folks. Anyone have opinions about the technology risks of their motor?
Seems to me to be the big issue.

On Sep 15, 2015, at 5:46 PM, Ed LeBouthillier <codemonky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone here have opinions or information about Rocket Labs and their LEO
launch system?

What I find particularly intriguing is that their two major venture
investors are quality Silicon Valley VCs - Bessemer and Khosla Ventures.

I don't have anything profound to add, but I agree that their hardware is
pretty.

One thing that will be interesting is how they're set up to deal with
possible multiple failures early in their launch program. Obviously,
Musk/SpaceX had 3 failures in a row with their Falcon 1.

Their website says a first launch "...planned for 2015..." and it's already
getting late in the year. They have a flight plan which includes preliminary
launches in Q3 and Q4 of 2016.

I certainly like their "spunk." This is a tough business when you don't have
deep pockets. I wish them the best. None of this is easy.