[AR] Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 02:38:38 +0100

On 17/09/15 02:10, KEN BIBA wrote:

There IS no glamour in a hedge fund.

Yep. Unless there are hogs in there :)

But hedge funds, unless they are pretty "ignorant", don't invest in airlines ..

.. or if they do, is it because they think the market sector is goood for profit margins?

And nations, and "ignorant" stockholders, do invest.

Why? Because they are ignorant?

The modern markets are simply not dominated by fashion.

Tee hee hee.

Of course they bloody are. Fashion, and herd behaviour.

Look at the recent collapse of the Chinese stock market, for an example.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Now … pre public market startups? A different story.

On Sep 16, 2015, at 5:56 PM, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17/09/15 00:48, Bill Claybaugh wrote:

Or is it just another urban legend that airlines make no profit?

Why do people continue to finance them?

Sounds like an urban legend to me, but what do I kno?

Indeed; see Warren Buffet in the 22 November 1999 issue of Fortune magazine.

In one word - glamour. People invest in airlines, and spaaace, for glamour, not
for profit.

That is of course the reason why no-profit pricing continues to exist in the
airline industry - the extra, nan-balance-sheet, profit of glamour.

-- Peter Fairbrother