[AR] Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 03:27:26 +0100

On 17/09/15 02:39, Bill Claybaugh wrote:

Sent from my Commodore 64

On Sep 16, 2015, at 8:40 PM, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17/09/15 00:44, Bill Claybaugh wrote:
Why assume evil when nature is a sufficient explanation?

There was no prior assumption of evil on my part - and if you are correct, no
there is no evil. The market price has been manipulated by no-profit pricing.

Airlines are both commodity businesses--they have no pricing
power--and service businesses--they have inherently high costs--so
they naturally, through competition, fall to no profit pricing.

Long-term, no-profit pricing is a chimera in a free market.

Agreed.

Any no-profit pricing enterprise must eventually fail in a free market (tiny
disturbances magnify). Over time, no-profit enterprises would not exist without
external support, given for some other reason than the strictly financial -
national pride, or whatever.

Agreed. Most airlines are owned by governments that cover the inevitable
losses--which losses are inevitably magnified by the inefficiency associated
with government ownership....

However--in the U.S.--the bankruptcy system allows some airlines to blow off
their debts every few decades even as others are liquidated.

And--in one known example only--if one does absolutely everything correctly and
makes no errors at all; then it is possible to eek out a very small but
consistent profit in the airline industry. It thus seems possible that the same
might eventually be true in space transportation, but then why would a profit
seeking investor but money into that business instead of biotech or AI?

Space transportation is no different.

Here I must disagree a little. As both commodity brokers and manufacturers,
people like SpaceX do have pricing power.

Ok, in rocketry we are still in, or perhaps coming towards the end of, the era
of national manufacturers/carriers; so the pricing power of eg SpaceX is
limited - but.

Actually, in aviation we are still in the era of national manufacturers too - there are
two contenders, Boeing and Airbus, both of which are "too big/important to
fail".

So what's your point?

First, that the reason why airlines make little or no profit is because they have too much investment, because other forces - which I will consolidate under the term NIG, for "National Interest and Glamour" - invest at least partly for non-financial reasons, and their investments support competitive zero-profit pricing.

Second, that in aviation both NI and Glamour continue to be the main deciding reasons for investment. The continued existence of the two contenders, Boeing airplanes division and Airbus, is a matter of NIG to two separate entities, the US and the EU.

If either Boeing or Airbus falters, it will get supported more. F3ck treaties, f3ck international trade competition agreements, they will find an excuse, and in reality it will get supported more.

Real to-the-death competition between the two is non-existent. [1]

As far as spaaace-launch goes, NI has long been the sole reason for investment. Recently, with the NASA policy change, that has changed a little (though not too much).

However, with that small change, other people are infesting in spaaace. Rocket Labs, the thread title, are an example. It is no longer seen as "the Government will either take you over or out-compete you"..

.. and it may even be becoming somewhat Glamorous to invest in spaaace.

In the previously mentioned article, Buffett mentions that only a very few people made money from automobiles - but let's not forget those few, people like Ford and his chums, who made bucketfuls, shiploads, mountains of money out of automobiles, money which would make today's internet billionaire money look like pin change.

Or the 1830-60 US railway kings.

Transport as a "public good"? Not if I own it!!

-- Peter Fairbrother

[1] incidentally, this applies in many cases where there are only a few contenders - anti-competition law actually helps this, to the considerable detriment of the reasons for anti-competition law.