[arachne] Re: anybody out there ?

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:35:50 -0500

Yes, we all need the fast internet connections to download Windoze
bloatware.
For me it's multimedia. I'm a linux guy. But since I'm going to go back to work on a windows machine soon, I am using windows 1 day a week now. But it's either linux or freedos the other days. However, in dos, I'm still at the figuring/remembering how to do things, stage.
And for some reason Arachne can download that kinda stuff faster
on this computer with a 36k modem than Win98 can do on the other
comp with a 56k modem.... and both comps are 133/PIs!
Sure, dos is faster on the same machine as windows, os x, or linux.  Even when
it doesn't appear so, they are all doing more things at the same time than dos
would be for the same task.  Although you can make a nice gui desktop with
linux that compares quite well with a dos machine in terms of speed.  My dos
machine has lots of *nix commands and I'm using a bash shell so it feels a lot
like linux but I do miss the multitasking.  I'm looking into some task
switchers to see how they'll do but at this point I keep thinking I wonder how
I used to live having only one app running at a time.

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --