[arachne] Re: anybody out there ?

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:54:45 +1030

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 19:08:18 -0500 (CDT), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greg,
> I've helped people around here that complain that
> their ISP has slow Internet connections, and their
> downloads take forever on their windo$e machines, and
> in every case they have something less than optimally
> configured, and a load of malware on their computers.
> Cleaning out the crap, and setting things right always
> surprises them with the increase in performance. The
> Techs at my local ISP deal with this constantly, and
> have told me the biggest problem they come across is
> windo$e boxes having been hacked into, or taken over
> by botnets and trojans.

This machine has been like it ever since I got it secondhand a couple of
years ago. And a clean install over a formatted hard disk has not
improved it.

On the urging of some friends I installed a new 56k modem and also ran
several spyware detection utilities. No problems were found, but there
were no improvements.

I suspect it is something to do with the way Windoze is handling the
file blocks as they come in.

> Personally I think people ought
> to dump that micro$#%t windo$e garbage. Especially win9x.

Sheeeesh!!! I'd love to, but too much hardware these days needs driver
software that works only under Windoze. For example, my scanner/printer
and my digital camera. Not to mentiuon the photo editing software....

Unfortunately, I can see no way to avoid Windoze if I want to use these
things.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v