[arachne] Re: anybody out there ?

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:39:50 -0500

I was joking.

But it's relative. I, too, didn't think I needed a high speed account. But when I factored in the fact that a dial up account meant I had to have a phone line, high is coming down in price, etc. It all added up to dial up not being fiscally justifiable any more. Then when I tried high speed, that fact just got even more true. The time savings in just webrowsing alone is convincing enough IMO. Add to that the savings when you actually dl files and it's most definitely not economically sound in my neck of the woods to keep dial up.

High Speed worth it? Best $35 a month I've ever spent. The phone bill plus dial up bill is more expensive here even so it costs me less than dial up.

But, you're right. There is no NEED for high speed. In fact, we don't NEED computers at all for that matter.

ewalt@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Jason Dodd said:
   We all do urgently need fast internet connections :)  But that doesn't

Nope. There's no need here. Furthermore, as secretary to a meditation
group I send out email to over two hundred and fifty people. Very few of
them have high speed connections. Maybe 95 per cent of them (including
myself) still have dial-up connections. This is especially true of those
with personal accounts that they pay for themselves. Inertia? Distrust of
the cable company and huge telcos? Yep.

Some people may feel an urgent need, most don't.
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --