[arachne] Re: Browser Won't Start In Default Home Page

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:51:19 +1030

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 04:50:42 -0500, "Lester" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Greg: Copy arachne.cfg as arachne.old then start editing. If you
> have trouble you can copy arachne.old back over arachne.cfg at any
> time.

> When the home page problem occurred I actually had the backup of
> Arachne.cfg and Mysetup.acf (with the same settings) but restoring
> any of those did NOT solve the problem.

Which says that the problem was most likely NOT in the changes you made
to the config.

> I don't see any problems resulting from using D:\Arc instead of
> C:\Arachne. Of course all the paths are corrected accordingly. You
> have multiple installations on the same drive, so that might be
> another story.

When a new version comes out I _ALWAYS_ install it in a special
directory (for example A190) on the C: drive, the same one I am using
for my normal working copy (in the directory ARACHNE).

I have never had any problems, once the paths in the new version are
corrected.

> My home page always starts first now, for the last few days. Somehow,
> Arachne managed to fix itself.

Hmmmm.... unlikely.... more likely it is something you did.

> From now on if I want to make any configuration changes I do them
> from Options, inside the browser.

That is probably the safest way, although it is still possible to make
errors.

For example, to set a local file as your homepage, you can specify it as
either  file://whatname.htm  or  file:whatname.htm  or you can include
the full path in either of the above forms.

Leaving out one of the slashes, or getting the path wrong, will confuse
Arachne, as also will miss-spelling the filename.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v