[access-uk] Re: Telephone Issues

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:55:09 +0100

Hi Damon
>when did this happen? Because the last time I spoke to Typetalk, despite
>having these new suffix direct number thingies, they told me I'd
>still need an account.

2001 since then accounts were not  needed because of the new
TextDirect service.
Just to  clarify:
BT TextDirect service is accessed via the PSTN and enables communication for
textphone users i.e. between 2 parties in either text to text mode or text
to voice mode. A Relay operator will provide voice to text conversion on
text
to voice or voice to text calls, while text-to-text calls will not use an
operator.

Callers prefix the required number with an Indirect Access code.

The TextDirect Text Access Code is  18001. If a textphone user wants to call
a number, the number they  dial is prefixed by 18001. There  is no need to
pause after the access code.
So when Icall say RNIB  the number I call is: 1800108457023153

For hearing people  the TextDirect access code is 18002. Voice users should
use TextDirect when they wish to communicate with a textphone user either
answered by or transferred to as in the case of a household or office with
mixed ability. i.e. textphone and voice users. To make a call to a number,
the number they will dial will be prefixed by 18002. There is no need to
pause
after the access code.

The TextDirect Text Emergency Call Access Code is 18000. If a textphone user
wants to contact the emergency services i.e. 999, 112 the number they
 dial is 18000 only.

Billing: calls are billed to the caller's telephone service bill.

Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx