[yoshimi] Instances

  • From: redu <reino.urala@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 08:24:02 +0300

Ref Instances

From Yoshimi manual:
Internal instances are created from the Yoshimi drop-down menu, and Yoshimi can keep track of them,also numbering the title bars so one knows which one is being dealt with (applies to all their sub-windows,too).
Two internal ones will save to their own numberered defaults
Instance 1 is all JACK and has a MIDI sequencer and arpeggiator connected. It is also configured for separate part outputs only.

In my “digi-Hammond” project, I would want to swap a state file on fly (instant sound swapping). In principle, using multiple instances for multiple state-sounds would do, but unfortunately, multiple instances would need multiple part’s outputs.

In my “digi-Hammond” 32 parts are already used for multiple organ stops (drawbars). That is: Can’t use instances for instant sound swapping?

What I use for swapping today,is multiple desktop icons on a touch sceen, each giving their own sounds (individual state files). Every new desktop icon script kills all the former Yoshmi instance, and starts a new one with a new state file.

Example desktop file:
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
# Start Zyn.dektop application
Exec=sh -c "killall yoshimi ; pgrep qjackctl || qjackctl & yoshimi –state=/home/redu/Zyn/state/6sineX.state"

The issue in this desktop icon approach is however an about one second switch-over-time = all sound are missing for one second at sound switch over instance.

The big question is: Is there in Yoshimi, some other instant way to switch over from one state file to another?