[Wittrs] Re: Following a rule

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:47:19 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> > I suggest looking more closely at the operation of a computer,
> > at the hardware level, and at the program level.
>
> I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there.  The
> computer  is acting as it does by virtue of physical causation.
> And thus  I don't see it as following rules at all, though it is
> sometimes  convenient to use "rule following" as a metaphor when
> describing  the computer.

I'm saying there are at least two things going on there,
the computer hardware is operating at one level, and what it is
operating on is a program.

Look at the contgencies.  If the computer is not even plugged in,
nothing.  If the computer is operating well at the hardware level
but on one program, something, if on another program, something else.

Josh

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs