[Wittrs] Re: Following a rule

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:44:17 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> I read this as LW saying, "You see, at any moment, you may not
> even know what the rule means, in a certain context, and therefore
> we have learned that rules are not WHAT EVERYONE HAS ALWAYS
> TAKEN THEM FOR."

That's about how I read him.

> Do we not stop at a red light, because LW has taught us
> that rules are not absolute? We do learn rules.

I think the answer is that we invent our own meaning for the rules.  So
we might follow what we mean by the rule, but that could  be different
from what was intended by the rule's originator.  And that suggests that
there is an element of invention in learning.

> Nature follows rules, a lot, even such simple parts of
> "the rules" of nature that our science has given us.

There, I disagree.  Part of why I disagree is the issue of whether
scientific laws are prescriptive or descriptive.  And part of my
disagreement is the issue of whether causation should be considered  the
same as following rules.

> Well, look, any machine is built - to follow rules.

And there, I disagree.  A machine is built so that in acting as it  does
by virtue of physical causation, it does what we want it to do.  I don't
see that as any kind of rule following.

Regards,
Neil

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html