[Wittrs] Re: Following a rule

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:50:58 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

>> And there, I disagree. A machine is built so that in acting as it
>> does by virtue of physical causation, it does what we want it to
>> do. I don't see that as any kind of rule following.

> I suggest looking more closely at the operation of a computer,
> at the hardware level, and at the program level.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there.  The computer  is
acting as it does by virtue of physical causation.  And thus  I don't
see it as following rules at all, though it is sometimes  convenient to
use "rule following" as a metaphor when describing  the computer.

Regards,
Neil

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/