[Wittrs] Re: Following a rule

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:10:30 -0700

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM, jrstern <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:
>>
>> > If LW tells us rule explanations are insufficient for how
>> > Johnny extends the sequence 2,4,6 ..., just why would it
>> > be any better for a machine?
>> It is my impression that Wittgenstein was mainly concerned with
>> the question if discerning what is the rule, or what "following
>> the rule" amounts to.  That is generally a problem with rule
>> following in language, in sports such as football or baseball,
>> and generally in every day activities that we consider to be rule
>> following.
>
> So, LW goes through a lot, to teach us how to see, and not to assume,
> yada yada.  Here's the thing.  What if you *do* follow a rule, that
> everyone can see, then what?
>
> Josh

Then lots of things.  Mostly they ignore ya cuz deviations from rules
are the exception sorta by definition.

It's the rule breakers that make history to some extent.

Maybe Skinnerites shoulda marketed themselves as misbehaviorists instead?

When worlds collide (cultures clash), the rules themselves get bent,
at which point the normal people start to seem more out of control, or
call it dancing to a new beat or whatever boom boom pow.

Kirby
Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs