[wisb] Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 16:09:41 -0500

I spent most of the day covering Lake Michigan.  This included Harrington Beach
SP and points north to Kewaunee.  The two best spots were Harrington and Kohler
SPs.  At Harrington there was a nice variety and number of diving ducks, many
migrating north almost steadily.  Best were 10 Horned and 1 Red-necked Grebe,2
Surf Scoters, and a Bonaparte's Gull (FOY).  However Kohler SP, while looking
very quiet initially, proved really excellent.  This was due to a loon slam!
The first loon was seen off shore after several minutes.  Initially I thought
it would be a Common (with the binocs), but with the scope I began to note id
marks that indicated it was rather a PACIFIC LOON!  It was about a quarter out
from shore, slowly swimming to the south.  During the 10 minutes I watched it i
was able to reaffirm my id for Pacific.  About this time 2 Red-throated Loons
flew by, along with 2 Am Golden Plovers.  A little later I found 2 more
Red-throateds on the water, with more fly by birds, and then one just off shore
actively feeding for a total of 9 Red-throateds.  During this time 4 Common
Loons flew by heading north.
Sheboygan's North Pt had 2 White-winged Scoters and a Great Black-backed Gull.

Hundreds of Redheads and Canvasbacks were on the lake around Cleveland.

Two Rivers had a White-winged Scoter in the harbor.

Point Beach SF had a Glaucous Gull, 4 Horned Grebes and close in Long-tailed
Ducks.

Kewaunee harbor had 5 White-winged Scoters, 3 Great Black-backed and 1 Thayer's
Gull.

A fun day, with temps along the lake in the upper 30s and lower 40s, while
inland they ranged from the upper 50s to lower 60s.  76 species were tallied.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI