[wisb] Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:06:54 -0600

I spent a good part of the day checking out spots along Lake Michigan.  It felt
good to get out and bird, the first in about 2 weeks.  The wind was terrible
(15 - 30) but the temp warmed up although my walk at Coal Park in Port
Washington was bitter cold.  Starting in Port Washington I could not find the
loons or scoter, this after walking way out and running back to the vehicle.
As I sat warming up, suddenly a Red-throated Loon appeared out in the harbor.
Scanning I discovered 10 Red-throated Loons.  They soon began to feed a lot,
with only 8 up at any one time.  While enjoying them a female White-winged
Scoter swam close by the park edge. A female Ruddy Duck was also in the harbor.
 I moved over to the north break wall by the restaurant and found the
Canvasback in the marina.  There was a small flock of ducks out on the lake
close to the break wall.  To my surprise almost half of them were scoters.  It
proved to be a scoter slam, as there were 14 (plus the one in the harbor)
White-winged Scoters (males, females and immatures), 1 female Surf Scoter and 1
male Black Scoter.  There were few gulls present.  However 2 fly bys were good:
 a 2nd yr Lesser Back-backed and a 2nd yr Iceland.
Harrington Beach has the ice built up so high (12-15 feet) that it is basically
impossible to view the lake.  (Even worse than the last time I was here, over 2
weeks ago.)

Kohler SP had 40 Long-tailed Ducks, 3 Glaucous and 1 Great Black-backed Gull,
plus a few standard birds at their feeders.

Sheboygan had almost all the ducks and gulls on the river by the ice.  Very
little was in the harbor.  Ditto North Pt.

Cleveland was quiet.  Manitowoc had 9 Great Black-backed Gulls.  Two Rivers had
2 Redheads.  Point Beach SF literally had no birds!

Green Bay (mouth of the Fox River) had the Peregrine Falcon, plus several Bald
Eagles, and only a few Herring Gulls.  A White Pelican was present.

For the day, including my yard birds, I was surprised to tally 54 species.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI