[wisb] Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:59:16 -0600

Deciding I needed a break from winter cabin fever, I checked out the
lake from Port Washington to Sheboygan.  Starting in Port highlights
included the Black-legged Kittiwake, an (almost) adult Iceland Gull,
2 Great Black-backed Gulls, 12 Ruddy Ducks, 3 Hooded Mergansers, a
Coot.  A small flock of Snow Buntings (12) was present along Jay Rd,
west of Six Mile Rd.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the Eastern Meadowlark that Pete
mentioned from the weekend.  It was along Cty LL, just north of the
junction with Lake Rd.

Harrington Beach SP had the usual diving ducks off the park.  The
feeders along Cty D had Juncos and Tree Sparrows, plus 2 Rough-legged
Hawks in the area.

Kohler/Andrae SP had a few diving ducks on the lake and standard
birds at the feeders.

Sheboygan had about 20 Great Black-backed Gulls and 1 Glaucous and
Thayer's Gulls.  The Barrow's Goldeneye was out some distance from
the parking lot while the Harlequin Duck was tight to the icy shore.
The only reason I saw the latter was it flew a short distance.  I
would not recommend walking out on the ice.  2 Gadwalls were also in
this area, along with many Mallards and scaup.

For the day I had 55 species.  It was a really nice day to be out.
Only in a few places was the wind rather biting.  Temps were in the
low to mid 30s.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI