[wisb] Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:30:36 -0600

I spent the day working up Lake Michigan from Milwaukee thru Point Beach SF.
It is amazing how much ice there is on the lake, especially at Milwaukee, Port
Washington and Sheboygan.  I did not find the various gulls that Tom posted.
However at North Pt, while checking the few ducks there, I was pleased to watch
a Harlequin Duck for some time before it disappeared to the south.
Port Washington had both scaup species.

Harrington Beach was very quiet on the lake, mainly ice, but there was a N.
Shrike inland.

Kohler SP had nothing, including the feeders which continue to have no food!

Sheboygan's contribution was a White-winged Scoter in with other diving ducks
along the south break wall of the harbor and another by North Pt.

Everything was iced over in the Manitowoc harbor and river so all the ducks
were out on the lake to the south, too far to id carefully.

Two Rivers harbor had 30 Redheads, along with standard ducks and Herring Gulls.

Point Beach SF was the best as there was open water which yielded the standard
ducks, plus 2 White-winged Scoters, 7 Great Black-backed, 5 Glaucous, 1 Iceland
and 1 Thayer's Gull plus Herrings.

The mouth of the Fox River had a Ruddy Duck and Shoveler, along with standard
ducks in the very limited open water!!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI