[wisb] Milwaukee today/Milwaukee County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:58:13 -0600

I started at Lakeshore State Park and found the Milwaukee River and most of
the harbor covered in ice. There were few gulls, but one was a Great
Black-backed. I next stopped at South Shore Marina which was also iced in
and the only species I could find in the breakwall gap were Common
Goldeneye, Greater Scaup, Red breasted and Common Mergansers, and one
Herring Gull.
My next stop was the Lake Express Ferry where I saw one White-winged Scoter
among hundreds of the aforementioned ducks. A lady who was leaving showed me
a beautiful photo she had made of a Snowy Owl near the red buoy behind the
ferry building. She told me the owl had flown, but I relocated it on the
gray navigation tower further east from the buoy. The American Kestrel was
perched close to the road. Next was the petroleum pier where another, or
perhaps the same Snowy Owl was perched out on the southeast end of the pier.
I scoped back to Lake Express and did not see the Snowy Owl that had been
there earlier, but we know there are two very heavily marked Snowy Owls in
Milwaukee, so I think this was probably the second owl. Scoping north to the
next open water from the pier, I saw a male Hooded Merganser with many
goldeneye and scaup. A juvenile Bald Eagle flew across the harbor.
I drove into Veteran's Park but didn't think it was worth getting out of the
car because I saw no open water.
From Lake Park, I scoped out to some open water on the lake and saw two
young Glaucous Gulls among the usual wintering waterfowl. I saw nothing
unusual in the park itself.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County