[windows2000] Re: OT: I've Had it with Outlook

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:17:01 -0800

Costanzo, Ray wrote:

> [...]

No, I have no problem with that.  We don't live under unrestricted
capitalism however, and many of their tactics are either illegal or at
least highly suspect.

|>I'm quite pleased with
|>win2k, but I'm not happy about where they are headed with win2k3 and
|>Longhorn/.NET  they appear to be specifically designing things so that
|>you can run only MS products, and I prefer a best of breed
|>approach.
|
| I haven't developed an opinion about this yet, but I imagine one could
| argue that that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Here's another bad
| analogy, ready?  At the bank where I work, we can only accept deposits
| for accounts that we own.  We don't support any accounts from other
| banks.  ?  I'm stretching just for the sake of advocating Lucifer.

Which is no problem, since if people don't like you they can go to
another bank without any loss of service or functionality, however with
Microsoft that often isn't true.  I'm a firm believer in competition,
and when one vendor dominates the market so severely, for whatever
reason, it's not good.

|>however Outlook and
|>IIS are filth.
|
| Calling Outlook filth is just sad.  It's such a pleasure to use.

Of course it's a pleasure to use, they focused on that to the exclusion
of all else.

| But what issues do you have with IIS?  Overall, I'm pretty
| satisfied with it, but that isn't to say that there aren't some things I
| wish it supported natively, mostly a built-in method of preventing hot
| linking.

Pretty much the same thing as outlook, way too much focus on features
and not enough on security/reliability.

| And, if you talk smack about the FTP server in IIS, I'll be
| right there with you.  IT SUCKS.

MS has _way_ too much tendency to try and bundle in the kitchen sink.

- --
Chris Berry
chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates & Coast Business Service

"He who laughs last probably made a back-up." --Murphy's Seventh law of
computing