[uae] e-uae 1.6.10 wip [sound]

  • From: Fabien Meghazi <agr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ML:E-UAE" <uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:25:01 +0200

Hi,

Got some sound issues with puaex on my laptop (ubuntu 9.04 - 2Ghz dual core).
I don't have this issue with E-uae.
When sound is activated, the scrollings are choppy. When the sound is
disabled or "disabled but emulated", the scrollings are super smooth
(maybe even too fast compared to the original - have to check that).
I use a good example of logo horizontal scrolling on this demo [1] (
but any text scrolling will do )

What I tried :

- compiling with  ./configure --with-sdl --with-sdl-gfx --with-sdl-gl
--with-alsa
- compiling with ./configure --with-sdl --with-sdl-gfx --with-sdl-gl
--with-sdl-sound
- disabling pulseaudio

With sdl-sound I tried this :

- installing libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio then launching
SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse puaex
- installing libsdl1.2debian-oss then launching SDL_AUDIODRIVER=oss puaex
- tried different settings in the gui
- tried different values for sound_stereo_separation
- tried different values for sound_stereo_mixing_delay
- tried disabling filter emulation, ...

All of the above could not help. Then I tried playing with
sound_latency which default to 100 ( I never touched to this value
before )

Lowering the latency also lower the choppy effect.
I could go as low as 10 as a normal user without making puae crashes.
I could get a bit lower with root privileges.
IIRC kernel 2.6.31 will have low latency facilities, maybe it'll
change something.

Anyway, when I try with E-uae (default latency 100 with alsa) the
scrollings are smooth.
While latency=10 helps puaex in my case, I can't get it as smooth as
E-uae with default latency (100)

Am I the only one to have this problem ? Does someone has a suggestion ?

Just lauch the demo with puaex then with e-uae and play with
disabling/enabling sound in the gui while the logo is scrolling,
you'll (probably) see what I mean.

[1]
http://www.amigrave.com/upload/posts/puaex/Global_Trash_-_1991_-_Silents_-_Disk_1_of_2.adz

--