[uae] Re: e-uae 1.6.10 wip [sound]

  • From: Mustafa Tufan <mustafa.tufan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:30:19 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM, timofonic timofonic <timofonic@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Why a branch per port? Isn't better to use a multiplatform code
> approach and use branches only for different code maturity (stable,
> release candidate, trunk/master) or experimental features?

when you have a system that has static settings (eg. resolution, bytes for
pixel etc etc) you can remove a lot of code from the source.
i've once tried ifdef'ing them and the source become unreadable.

> Look at ScummVM, the success of their highly multiplatform way made it
> being available on tons of platforms and one of the most popular FOSS
> projects. An emulator is a different beast, but I believe not using
> branches for each port can make development a lot better in the future
> so developers will be happier.
>
> As you may know, developers can have their own development branches
> (public or private) and then merging into master/trunk (whatever you
> want to name it). Then you make a branch for a stable release.
>
> Are you going to be a lone developer in this project or being open for
> other developers collaboring on it? If the later, then you'll need to
> make some project structure and some preject guidelines in different
> stuff (submitting issues, code style, approximate development
> cycle...).

damn, i just want to code :)

Also, what about some IRC channel too?

i'm not against it but i can't spare time to login and chat.

So this project is named P-UAE because main target being Pandora or
> just "historical" reasons? Are you going to be more open to being
> agnostic multiplatform since E-UAE seems totally dead and no
> equivalent fork for non-microsoft operating systems?

puae because it's for Pandora
"e-uae 1.6.10 for other platforms" is just a by-product.

> If you need help, just ask for it. I'll do whatever I can with my
> limited non-dev knowledge :)

thanks

-mustafa.