[uae] Re: e-uae 1.6.10 wip [sound]

  • From: timofonic timofonic <timofonic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:01:36 +0100

Hello.

Why a branch per port? Isn't better to use a multiplatform code
approach and use branches only for different code maturity (stable,
release candidate, trunk/master) or experimental features?

Look at ScummVM, the success of their highly multiplatform way made it
being available on tons of platforms and one of the most popular FOSS
projects. An emulator is a different beast, but I believe not using
branches for each port can make development a lot better in the future
so developers will be happier.

As you may know, developers can have their own development branches
(public or private) and then merging into master/trunk (whatever you
want to name it). Then you make a branch for a stable release.

Are you going to be a lone developer in this project or being open for
other developers collaboring on it? If the later, then you'll need to
make some project structure and some preject guidelines in different
stuff (submitting issues, code style, approximate development
cycle...).

Also, what about some IRC channel too?

So this project is named P-UAE because main target being Pandora or
just "historical" reasons? Are you going to be more open to being
agnostic multiplatform since E-UAE seems totally dead and no
equivalent fork for non-microsoft operating systems?

If you need help, just ask for it. I'll do whatever I can with my
limited non-dev knowledge :)

Regards.