[triadtechtalk] Re: This...& WIN XP

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 12:51:31 -0700

From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> --from avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Mr. D.Nasset wrote re WIN XP:
> <However, it is, as best I can tell (and I
> haven't really used it myself) the best thing Microsoft has put on a home
> user desktop to-date. >
>
> "The best...." -this is the same exact thing that M$ has said
> about all it's windows, starting with 3.X.

Who cares what Microsoft says? I don't get my information from MS press
releases; I get it from people who have actually used the software,
especially those who haven't liked Windows in the past.

> Never have they come out with one that did not need tweaking, and
> we know they've already discontinued support for some despite all
> their lauding.

Of course it does. I know of no OS that doesn't need tweaking, especially
when initially released. If you do, please tell me.

As for Microsoft dropping support for products, how many years do you expect
Microsoft to continue to support outdated OSes that no longer bring them in
any money? They haven't even completely dropped support for Win 3.1 yet.
Heck, they still have support for _MS-DOS_.

> If I well recall the song in Burl Ives'(RIP) album goes like this:
> "They'll do anything for money....
>  for that almighty dollar bill!"

Well, of course they do. They are a major corporation. Major corporations
that don't do what they can for the "almighty dollar bill" have their senior
officers replaced by the stockholders, who themselves are there only for
that same bill.

I may not like their tactics, or a lot of their business decisions in the
past, or their marketing, or anything about them. But I don't care about
that stuff when recommending software. I only care about the OS. And XP
looks to be just what the home desktop needs, according to people who
previously panned virtually every MS OS.

> Please, I'm only stating MHO & respect yours, but in my book of
> WIN versions I'll stick with WIN 2K & will run as far as I can
> from XP and even seek asylum if need be.(LOL)

XP _is_ Win2K, with various updates aimed at home use, primarily intended to
improve backwards compatibility while maintaining stability. As such, it
gives the benefits and stability of Win2K, but can run more software,
especially games and older Win9x software. It is, as it was always intended
to be, Win2K for the home user.

So far, the _only_ complaints I have heard is hardware requirements, Product
Activation, Passport, and misunderstandings about Remote Access. Since my
sources of information are people who _didn't_ like past versions of Windows
(with the occassional exceptions of the NT line, or maybe Win95), I expect
that this indicates a general lack of major problems.

As always, this is only IMHO. But I have spent some time researching this
one. Your typical home user needs an OS aimed at the home user, so I can't
recommend Win2K or NT, ME was a stop-gap measure that wasn't very good, and
Win98 was acceptable only after installing, testing, and possibly going back
if it didn't work well.

David Nasset, Sr.