[triadtechtalk] Re: a bit on privacy etc again

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:57:31 -0700

From:  ChasM49@xxxxxxx

> --from ChasM49@xxxxxxxxx
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> There was a flash on itmes about privacy,deleteing files in Temp internet
> history and index dat files... here is a link that has a pretty clear
> explanation for it all and if you follow the instructions it
> contains you DO
> NOT have to go to DOS.... knew I had it but only thing as finding
> the dumb
> place again.. lol..... good site and easy to understand.... maybe
> because he
> seems to type like I do... lol....
>           http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/index.html
>    think it may be lots easier to follow these instructions than
> some that
> were given earlier if you do not have Fred Langas bat files  or
> want to fall
> back to dos to use them..... this site also has quite a few links
> to related
> sites and files on privacy,virus,trojans,worms,coookies and
> etc.... check it
> out.. may find you like it as it is writtien in simple english.........
> Chuck... in OK

It is an interesting page, but I'm not certain what the purpose is. It shows
you how to automatically delete certain directories every time you boot, but
the primary result seems to be to make those directories useless. So why use
them? If you are going to delete your Temporary Internet Directory upon
every boot, then why not turn off the Temporary Internet Files entirely? The
same question applies to History, which you can set to 0 days.

If you want to simplify the deletion of these files, I recommend these
changes to the instructions on the page above. This will change it from an
automatic cleaning to one that runs when you feel the need, and only then:

For Win95/98:

Go to Start>Run. Type "edit c:\autoexec.bat".

Type Alt, F, A. Tell it to save the autoexec.bat as c:\autoexec.tab. Click
OK.

Go to the end of the file and add the lines for the batch file described on
the page mentioned above.

At the very end, type these lines:

rename autoexec.bat autoexec.tab
rename autoexec.tmp autoexec.bat

Click Alt, F, S, then alt, F, X.

Now, click Start, then run. Type edit clean.bat. In the window that opens,
type:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.tmp
ren autoexec.tab autoexec.bat

Now there is a new file on your desktop named clean. When you want to clean
things out, double click on it, close the window, then reboot.

For WinME, follow the instructions on the page, except for one thing. When
editing the Registry (hardly the safest of activities, though you should be
fine if you follow these instructions to the letter), do not add anything to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run. Replace
Run with Run Once. This will run it once. When you want to run it again, add
it again.

I'll see if I can create something more useful for the users of this list
when I have a chance.

David Nasset, Sr.