[triadtechtalk] Re: This...& WIN XP

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:37:15 -0500

> Clarence -

Hi ya' Pam!

> Given the ongoing saga of computer difficulties
you seem to experience, if I were you, I would not
pick up XP for quite a while.  Not to mention you
should figure out how to use what you've got
before adding a whole new factor.

Yup, I sure did have 'em for awhile there!  As for
what I have got, I pretty well know how to use all
but maybe two or three of the 1.7GB's of programs
that I have, so I think that is a pretty good
average and I will learn the others eventually
when the need for their services is necessary and
if that time never comes, then I will eventually
uninstall them!

> As to your other point - I am not all that keen
on the idea that M$ can and will, be able to get
into my computer, keep track of me, etc.  I know
what they say, I know their protestations of
innocence and good will and how this will make
everything soooo much easier.  Easier isn't always
better, and, if this becomes the standard, I will
have a LOT less control over my personal
information - from the hardware I own down to how
I use my computer and where I go on the internet.
If I wanted Bill Gates in my house, I'd invite him
over.  If I can NOT turn off their nosing around
in my computer, then it is not a feature or a
benefit, it's the first step to Big Brother.

Personally, I really could care less so long as
they don't muck up my system, I don't mind sharing
at all, but it must be done on request and a
pretty please with sugar on it wouldn't hurt!  ; )

> Also, if you support this monopoly, then you
will become increasingly dependent on M$.  You
will NOT own XP, you will pony up whatever the
renewal fee is in 2 years - and without
competition, M$ has the upper hand.

But I thought that I was already dependent on them
to a point by having to use their Knowledge Base
to find information that is not within my own Help
files included with the software!  I WILL if I buy
it or I won't buy it!  As for any renewal fee,
that is out when I buy it as it will belong to me
then!  And besides, they ain't the only pusher on
the block!  ; )

.......clarence.......

**********

**********

> > Unfortunately, M$ has a *very* long history of
> buggy releases,
>
> True!
>
> > I would NOT start using one of their OSs until
> at least the first service pack release.
>
> OK, but just look at all the fun you would miss
in
> the interim!  ; )
>
> > Given the dramatic changes that XP will
include,
> I'm not sure that I'll be using it at home
anytime
> soon.
>
> But are not the dramatic changes wot makes it
> worth the change?
>
> > I've read of several individuals who have
ended
> up locked out of their computers because XP
> thought that they'd changed things and wanted
them
> to call in get reapproved by M$ for use.  One of
> them while trying to work on an airplane.
>
> Yes, I also noted that bit of information in one
> of the other reports which would seem to me to
be