[triadtechtalk] Re: This...& WIN XP

  • From: <budge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:58:00 -0700

cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 9/5/2001
> As to your other point - I am not all that keen
on the idea that M$ can and will, be able to get
into my computer, keep track of me, etc.  I know
what they say, I know their protestations of
innocence and good will and how this will make
everything soooo much easier.  Easier isn't always
better, and, if this becomes the standard, I will
have a LOT less control over my personal
information - from the hardware I own down to how
I use my computer and where I go on the internet.
If I wanted Bill Gates in my house, I'd invite him
over.  If I can NOT turn off their nosing around
in my computer, then it is not a feature or a
benefit, it's the first step to Big Brother.

Personally, I really could care less so long as
they don't muck up my system, I don't mind sharing
at all, but it must be done on request and a
pretty please with sugar on it wouldn't hurt!  ; )

*** Good luck getting a please or sugar or anything else outta Bill and M$.  If
you trust him and his vast network of employees to be able to access your
computer whenever it's on, more power to ya.  And, you *did* know that this
software allows for remote control by another user, right?  They're pushing
that as meaning that a remote tech can take control of your computer and fix
it.  My answer is - if I can't follow the instructions and make it work, then I
need a live body, not remote control.  Not to mention - the crackers will have
a hey day with this.  Considering all the cracks and security holes that
crackers can find now, the viruses, etc., do you *really* think that this
"feature" is worth the risk?

> Also, if you support this monopoly, then you
will become increasingly dependent on M$.  You
will NOT own XP, you will pony up whatever the
renewal fee is in 2 years - and without
competition, M$ has the upper hand.

But I thought that I was already dependent on them
to a point by having to use their Knowledge Base
to find information that is not within my own Help
files included with the software!  I WILL if I buy
it or I won't buy it!  As for any renewal fee,
that is out when I buy it as it will belong to me
then!  And besides, they ain't the only pusher on
the block!  ; )

***NO, as a matter of fact, you will NOT own it.  You will have a lease
agreement.  You cannot resell it, you cannot give it away.  You can keep it
until it expires and then you can re-up your sub.  And if all your records -
financial, personal, etc. - were created in M$ products, there are NO
guarantees that, should you decide to let your lease lapse and try someone new,
you will be *able* to transfer your records without a LOT of headaches.

My company is likely to go to XP, but I personally will not.

Pamela