[triadtechtalk] Re: This...& WIN XP

  • From: <budge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:13:23 -0700

Clarence -

Given the ongoing saga of computer difficulties you seem to experience, if I
were you, I would not pick up XP for quite a while.  Not to mention you should
figure out how to use what you've got before adding a whole new factor.

As to your other point - I am not all that keen on the idea that M$ can and
will, be able to get into my computer, keep track of me, etc.  I know what they
say, I know their protestations of innocence and good will and how this will
make everything soooo much easier.  Easier isn't always better, and, if this
becomes the standard, I will have a LOT less control over my personal
information - from the hardware I own down to how I use my computer and where I
go on the internet.  If I wanted Bill Gates in my house, I'd invite him over.
If I can NOT turn off their nosing around in my computer, then it is not a
feature or a benefit, it's the first step to Big Brother.

Also, if you support this monopoly, then you will become increasingly dependent
on M$.  You will NOT own XP, you will pony up whatever the renewal fee is in 2
years - and without competition, M$ has the upper hand.

Pamela

cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 9/5/2001

> Unfortunately, M$ has a *very* long history of
buggy releases,

True!

> I would NOT start using one of their OSs until
at least the first service pack release.

OK, but just look at all the fun you would miss in
the interim!  ; )

> Given the dramatic changes that XP will include,
I'm not sure that I'll be using it at home anytime
soon.

But are not the dramatic changes wot makes it
worth the change?

> I've read of several individuals who have ended
up locked out of their computers because XP
thought that they'd changed things and wanted them
to call in get reapproved by M$ for use.  One of
them while trying to work on an airplane.

Yes, I also noted that bit of information in one
of the other reports which would seem to me to be
a minor annoyance so long as a phone is readily
available when it happens!

> My $.02

Here is a $.01 back as I wouldn't want you to be
broke Pam!  ; )

.......clarence.......