[triadtechtalk] Re: Armando and Howard: Re: AVG Anti-Virus System Main Page

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:27:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2001 1:05:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
davisrb@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Do you see a possible connection with my having just completed a tuneup?
> Rebecca

Rebecca... if this was using the windows tuneup function there is a
porbablity that may have caused the problem.... have had soemthing like that
occur a time or two..... since you are using win98 you may want to try this
method..... btw... it is a recommended tool by MS but little known . first
off.... this method is only for win98 orwin98se
1-boot to a dos prompt.... to do so hold the F8 key down as you are booting
your pc and it should come up with a choice of booting in safe mode and a
couple of other methods... using the arrow keys scroll down to boot to dos
prompt and hit enter

2-it will then come up showing a flasdhing  C:\ prompt

# at that point simply type scandisk    your pc will then preform a scan disk
and if any errors found repair them at the end you will be returned to a
C:prompt

3- when you are back to the C: prompt  type this RXACTLY as it is here noting
the spacing etc     scanreg /fix          then and hit enter this will scan
and repair your registry  when it is done it will inform you of such and
again return you to a c:prompt.... II then reboot my mahcine and have found
it usually has corrected my problems

 If you have win me this method is the way to do the same thing.... do a scan
disk by whatever means you find easiest and then clcik start-run and type in
the following again noting the exact spacing etc        scanregw /fix
 it will do a registry scan,repair it if need be and reboot your machine.....

again this is a Microsoft recommended tool buitlin to winodws but not made
fully known to most people.... Chuck... in OK