[tor] Re: Current state of affairs regarding Torservers.net

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 21:12:00 +0100

Hi,

>>> Again, I agree why not build an array of nodes that can be scaled up or
>>> down as funds allow.

This was my idea when I started Torservers. It quickly turned out that
bandwidth goes way cheaper in bulk, and extra on-demand bandwidth costs
extraordinarily much.

>> The main question still is: Will FDC accept a Tor Exit-Node?
>> I guess Moritz is just waiting for an answer from FDC...

Exactly :-) I haven't heard back from 2host, FDC, UnmeteredServers.com,
RapidSpeeds.com, Securedservers.com and several others yet I don't even
bother to list here.

The founder of codero, who donated the 100mbps "wau" exit told me he
could put us on Gbit for $100 a month (the rest being a donation). The
odd thing is that Tor doesn't do much more than 200kb/s on it at the
moment, even though my tests (wget, Debian torrent) show that it can
indeed hit 11MB/s easily.

If anyone has some ideas on how to find the bottleneck, come by on IRC
(oftc.net #torservers) or XMPP moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Moritz Bartl
http://www.torservers.net/