[tor] Re: Current state of affairs regarding Torservers.net

  • From: Andrew Weightman <andrewb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:36:19 +0000

I'm with Jordan on that... Don't risk the bank on one server, build a stable 
array  that can be managed with the funds avaible as and as income fluctuates.

Andrew Weightman
Rock Hall Ltd
www.rockhall.co.uk
44(0)116 230 4444

Sent from my Iphone

On 11 Feb 2011, at 13:19, jordan <jordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Hi everybody,
> 
> I'm Jordan, very positive towards torservers.net and running a middle
> node server (Evey/Valerie) which will hopefully gather more throughput
> soon. For my take on the situation see below.
> 
>>> At what point can torservers be confident it can support $800/month?
>> 
>> It's a very tough decision to make. Our current funds ($2400) mean we
>> would survive 3 months. Three months of beating the drum, incorporation,
>> proper announcement and press release, finally translating the website,
>> plus some nice ticking clocks and bars on the website and Kickstarter
>> fundraising.
> I don't think that putting that kind of pressure on people is a good
> idea; its essentially saying "If you don't donate enough the node will
> go down."
> It leaves a bad aftertaste like from all the pressure-building in
> marketing and ads. Besides, is it possible to gather that much traffic
> in that timeframe?
> 
> I'm for a more adaptable way of running exit nodes.
> Meaning that smaller nodes (100 mbit) should be added as monthly
> donations allow for. So when more come in, more nodes are added.
> It makes torservers.net more reliable and sustainable. Donators also
> could be sure to support the tor network in the longer term.
> 
> 
>> State of affairs:
>> 
>> 100tb doesn't respond
>> 2host doesn't respond
>> evoboxes isn't quite sure yet; cannot SWIP yet
>> Most don't like us
>> Other are too expensive: Professional offers start at ~500 Euro per 200
>> Mbps at the cheapest (with 100 of that already donated)
>> 
>> FDC has a new datacenter in CZ, $300 for "unmetered Gbit"; not sure they
>> would accept us, waiting on a reply. Mike Perry left and told me to
>> better stay away, but he was at a US datacenter.
>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1017226
>> 
>> And we don't even know if we can push the server to Gbit anyway. There
>> seem to be some bottlenecks still hidden inside the code. Amunet is at
>> not more than 800 Mbps most of the time.
>> 
>> We can:
>> 
>> * go with Swiftway in a strategic moment and hope for the best (in terms
>> of bandwidth and publicity)
>> * run the first Icelandic exit for 12€/Mbps
> 12 per Mbps? So 1200 Euro/month for a 100 mbit node?
> Seems mighty expensive to say the least..
> 
> 
>> * go with a reliable 200 mbps in Germany for ~500 Euro/mnth
>> * try FDC
>> * look/wait for better offers
> I think www.leaseweb.com should be considered.
> They offer 100 mbit/s for 106 euro/month (including VAT), it seems
> unmetered, unshared and guaranteed. So about 30 TB would be possible.
> They state that on different places on their website and clearly
> confirmed the points to me in an mail exchange (I asked very
> clear questions). So it seems that it wouldn't be a problem for them
> that if it is used to a full extent. Its also hard to find
> anything negative about them on the web. The German Privacy Foundation
> runs a (small) exit node there.
> 
> I also asked about Tor and it's OK with their TOS. They wrote:
> "To answer your question, yes this is legal, so you can host this, no
> problem."
> I just wrote them asking about forwarding abuse complaints and custom
> whois. Will let you know.
> 
> And for 106 Euro each several could be rented.
> 
> And maybe later, if they really prove to be Tor friendly, it could be
> thought about making payments in advance, since they offer substantial
> discounts that way (5%/10%/20%/30% for 3/6/12/24 months).
> 
> 
>> I think we should make a decision before, or, at the latest, at the
>> foundation meeting. I haven't heard back from the tax authorities yet, I
>> expect it to take no longer than one more week. I'm leaving Dresden for
>> two weeks on 22nd, so Feb 19th would be the last possible ad hoc
>> founding date or we'll have to postpone until mid March.
>> 
>> If you want to discuss any of this, join us at irc.oftc.net #torservers,
>> or contact me personally on XMPP moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 
> Best,
> Jordan
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
> iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNVTdkAAoJEBINFmKST816daMP/1EOxZqFCOxc6zmQXIHXJCM/
> /7/VhJfRnzBoz/tE42/0nZK2b5IXbfKNXBaqY6XzAR5qLjfHYft1rafIXfIRBGaJ
> C0pBJn1KDaj0Ahj6F9IeLjVJhQORxVyPOHJ/OE2snd4fFf2i6heBe8vmomMqsIge
> thQbp3krH6k+1oDeAs5tjFuDceBGIqf4NLxqglH5ZoLZXYvKufy/ytctDGNqsJM4
> j6ymdX6vyE9ONyawy6lbms/HpAcTnHmKnvwzmIgHdRl3vFrcgGP0BJxzFD3B/iqS
> pmWIo/OB0eOQgHN5fAZl8Z6jrqAID3V2kbxLJyCPMqgwjX1O9xaIfGcoduhJfxun
> 0Q2RRE/OxCw4w+ntDM2MlT9ot4u63e8ZCdPq7usaKC4atQT93YTPJ5eZQZYiOmwi
> hKLuoW3uClbxoH8UPAEQNNGaTeNVsidhVGF0DQlneEbqHBtxz24jD74L/0iTjxAJ
> 1V8GJJukGbqCJWwPGrlyWjstXlkdupXRwT5yysXi1R6ueESffRl+ka+N1tT08ZKh
> LfWdz2ECB4H9lFPBK0eVhvqVzluklx8L1lhHQBDVXA1H2uMKO1yUABFvYYy2OJIf
> D44FRao57Vu2YGUOGKPFrSmwb9/8uxEOdxrVTlHY2vdS2FmO+oaQOy/GfGAgKeKI
> TzigNjo35qASA4Dxpmto
> =XUTk
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 

Other related posts: