[tor] Re: Current state of affairs regarding Torservers.net

  • From: jordan <jordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:21:22 +0100

Hi,

I looked through the wiki, and what about the choices below?

>>> State of affairs:
>>>
>>> 100tb doesn't respond
>>> 2host doesn't respond
>>> evoboxes isn't quite sure yet; cannot SWIP yet
>>> Most don't like us
>>> Other are too expensive: Professional offers start at ~500 Euro per 200
>>> Mbps at the cheapest (with 100 of that already donated)
>>>
>>> FDC has a new datacenter in CZ, $300 for "unmetered Gbit"; not sure they
>>> would accept us, waiting on a reply. Mike Perry left and told me to
>>> better stay away, but he was at a US datacenter.
>>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1017226
>
> Comparing the legal situations in both countries I think we could give that a
> try actually.
300 for 1 Gbit unmetered sounds too good to be true but if its monthly
and there is no installation fee, it seems to be worth a try if they at
least assert upfront that they are OK with it.

I tried to compile a list of best suitable hosters, I toke the ones from
the wiki (is that all including VAT?) and from mails of Moritz, left
aside the ones mentioned as bad and the ones without custom whois, no
mention of abuse forwarding and obviously too expensive, that seems to
leave the following (from the wiki):

> Ecatel, NL, Y, ~120 euro 100mbit/s dedi, ~850 dedi 1Gbit, own data
center, known privacy hoster
would be 3.6euro/TB or 2.5euro/TB
does dedicated refers to unshared line? so that line is reserved for the
server?

> Yazuhost, NL, N, 150€ 100TB up 100TB down Xeon 3210, 4GB RAM, 500GB,
tor ok, Leaseweb reseller, can forward DMCA complaints
1.5euro/TB?
are they OK with forwarding other complains too?

> t-n-media, RO, N, 250€ 1Gbit dedicated Intel Core i7, 6GB RAM, 2x
1,5TB, tor ok, will forward abuse
sounds to good to be true?! but I guess that bandwidth will be shared?
0.75euro/TB?

> Leaseweb, NL, ?, 106€ 100mbit/s, Dual-Core E2160, 4GB, 2x250GB,
3.2euro/TB
Regarding abuse complains the security department wrote: "We always
forward all complaints received." Doesn't sound like a problem to them.
Regarding custom whois they forwarded the question to another department.

> FDC @ CZ, 300€ 1Gbit
0.9euro/TB

[snip]
Am 2/12/2011 9:12 PM, schrieb Moritz Bartl:
> The founder of codero, who donated the 100mbps "wau" exit told me he
> could put us on Gbit for $100 a month (the rest being a donation).
Wow, that would be really great. :)
Is the hardware advanced enough to be able to handle that much traffic?

With the rest of the money one could rent a server at Yazuhost!?

> The
> odd thing is that Tor doesn't do much more than 200kb/s on it at the
> moment, even though my tests (wget, Debian torrent) show that it can
> indeed hit 11MB/s easily.
>
> If anyone has some ideas on how to find the bottleneck, come by on IRC
> (oftc.net #torservers) or XMPP moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best,
Jordan