[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:27:19 -0700

Hello John,

I have to take issue with one thing you say, below, and so I will trim
away the rest and interleave some comments:

<snip>
> Because if you want to put your
> electronics products in the markets of EU, China, Japan, Korea, etc. you
> have to do Pb-free. Thus, most of the electronics companies (for good or
> for bad - thus it is not a problem anymore) are doing Pb-free...

This is placing human greed above sound engineering and manufacturing
principles.

JUST BECAUSE FIVE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE DO A FOOLISH THING, DOES NOT
MEAN THAT IT IS NOT A FOOLISH THING.

<snip>

> The way I see it,
> 10-20 years from now, more than 95% of electronics products would be
> built by Pb-free. At that time, all those politicians will be laughing
> at us and saying how right they have been and how wrong we were. Because
> at that time, the lead-free infrastructure could be solidly/completely
> built, the reliability problems reduce

 <snip>

 There is no evidence whatsoever that lead-free and particularly
 pure-tin finishes will not have reliability problems.

 There IS evidence that they WILL.

 This entire lead-free movement was started with no sound scientific
 basis for it, and a verified history of pure-tin-finishes growing
 whiskers. I see this as comparable to eating a fashionable new
 plant-food that is known to occasionally kill people ["but all of
 those reports were not verified to be directly caused by this
 stuff...it could have been anything"], but is claimed to greatly
 prolong life expectancy, and is promoted by fancy television
 advertising that promotes it as the new, fashionable thing to do, and
 everyone is doing it, and therefore so should you.

 It will take twenty years for you, personally, eating that stuff, to
 find out whether it degenerates your nerves and you end up a
 vegetable in a wheelchair for the remaining hundred years of your
 life.

 Everything has consequences. Lemmings don't care at all for
 consequences; they all run in the same direction because they are
 following the ones in front. When many people are given False Data
 and told not to think for themselves, but to obey a self-proclaimed
 "Authority", they often go into agreement with the "Authority". This
 is not the first time that many people have agreed to do a foolish
 thing.