[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: Engelmaier@xxxxxxx
  • To: lauhs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:16:16 EDT

Hi John,
In your world—that is mass-produced consumer products, the pragmatic view has
to be that the Pb-ban is a fact of life. And with these products it is a fact
of life.
But what do I tell a client with a 24-layer 250-mil thick PCB with 4 power-
and ground-layers who has to put BGAs on it.
They do not fall under RoHS.
They do not sell in the EU, China, Japan, Korea, etc.
What I tell them is to re-ball to Sn37 AND use vapor phase—works like a
charm.
That is why people develop these systems to re-coat, re-ball, etc., because
there is a market for it, that cannot be met with Pb-free solders [they do not
want to go the Bi- or In-route].

See you in London at NEW.

Werner
Future workshops:
Reliability Issues with Lead-Free Soldering Processes, June 17, London
Interconnect Failures and Design for Reliability for PCB PTHs, June 17,
London
Pb-Free Soldering Processes—Survival, Quality, Reliability, August 18,
Orlando
Reliability Issues with Lead-Free Soldering Processes, September 22,
Schaumburg
Failure Mode and Root Cause Analyses Reliability (Fatigue, Brittle Fracture,
ENIG), September 22, Schaumburg

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
      (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&
NCID=aolfod00030000000002)